This is such a simple recipe. The tomato paste and prepared pesto make a very savory spread that is impressively flavorful.
This is a cross between pizza and an open-faced sandwich. The sauce is an intense blend of purchased pesto and tomato paste.
Toasting the bread on the grill is always fun and imparts a special extra flavoring that is only possible using this method. As when grilling traditional pizza dough, the bread is grilled on one side before any toppings are added. The bread then is flipped, topped, and returned to the grill to toast the second side. This ensures that both sides of the bread get the benefit of the grill.
Grilled Sourdough Pizza w/ Tomato Pesto
- 1/4 cup Pesto Store Bought
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 slices Large, Thick Sourdough Bread
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Medium Tomato Thickly Sliced
- 1 12 oz Mozzarella Ball Thickly Sliced
- 1/4 cup Black Olives Sliced
- Black Pepper Freshly Ground
- 2 Basil Leaves Thinly Sliced
- Heat grill to high
- In a small bowl, thoroughly mix tomato paste and pesto
- Drizzle both slides of each slice of bread with olive oil; grill until lightly toasted on one side.
- Remove from grill, spread pesto/tomato paste mixture over the toasted side of each bread slice. Add slices of tomato, mozzarella and olives.
- Return to the grill; reduce to low heat and close cover. In about 10 minutes, the bottom should be toasted and the toppings should be melted.
- Top with sliced basil and serve
Adapted from “(page 192) Grilled Sourdough Pizza w/ Tomato Pesto” found within High Flavor Low Labor: Reinventing Weeknight Cooking by J.M. Hirsch