Pulled chicken sandwiches are great for entertaining and nights where we have limited time to cook. We prepare the chicken in the slow-cooker the night before, letting the chicken marinate in the seasoning of apricot and jalapeno. If you are adverse to spicy food you can limit the amount of jalapeno that you add. We use a whole one, seeds removed, and our girls don’t complain of the spice level. The coleslaw can also be prepped the night before, with the exception of adding in the wet ingredients. Set those aside to mix 20 minutes before serving. This dish goes so quickly in our home that it is nearly impossible to have leftovers.
- 2 cup Red Cabbage Very Thinly Sliced
- 1 cup Carrot Jullienne'd (Matchstick Cut)
- 1/2 cup Radish Thinly Sliced
- 1/3 cup Basil Chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic Minced
- 2 tsp Lime Juiced
- 2 tbsp Habanero Pepper Seeded & Minced
- 2 Boneless & Skinless Chicken Breast
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/3 cup Apricot Preserves
- 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Raw Sunflower Seeds
- 6 Brioche Bun
- 1 tbsp Water
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper Freshly Ground
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- Place chicken in the bottom of your slow-cooker.
- Combine Mustard, Worcestershire, Apricot Preserves, Vinegar, Habanero, Garlic, Salt (1/2 amount) & Pepper (1/2 amount) into a blender and mix throughout. Pour mixture over Chicken already in slow-cooker making sure all sides of Chicken have been coated. Cover and cook using low temperature setting for 5 hours.
- Pull Chicken from slow-cooker and place onto a cutting board. Shred Chicken using two forks. Skim off fat from remaining liquid in slow-cooker and discard. Combine Corn Starch and Water and mix. Turn slow-cooker on to high temperature setting until mixture starts to thicken (about 5 minutes). Add pulled Chicken back to slow-cooker and toss.
Cabbage & Carrot Slaw
- Combine Cabbage, Carrots, Radishes, Basil & Sunflower Seeds in a large mixing bowl. In a smaller separate bowl, mix the Lime Juice, Olive Oil, Vinegar, Habenero Pepper, Salt (1/2 amount) & Pepper (1/2 amount). Just before serving, combine ingredients from the smaller mixing bowl into the larger one and allow about 15 minutes to marinade.
- Lightly toast Brioche Roll on a large skillet then plate. Place pulled chicken onto the bottom bun and then top with an equal serving of slaw. NOTE: Serve and eat quickly to prevent the roll from getting soggy.
Adapted from “Habanero-Apricot Chicken Sandwiches” found within CookingLight.com | August 2017 by Jamie Vespa