We love salads, but they are still a bit advanced for our girls. We have found a way to serve This deconstructed taco salad in a way that works for everyone. For the girls we heat up a quesadilla and add the bean and onion topping to it. This way they are getting some added protein from the beans and the adults get to enjoy the crunch of this flavorful salad.
- 1 Red Onion Chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic Chopped
- 6 cup Romaine Lettuce Chopped
- 1 Avocado Sliced
- 1/2 cup Queso Fresco Crumbled
- Sour Cream
- 2 15.5 oz can Pinto Beans Drained & Rinsed
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salsa (Store Bought)
- Tortilla Chips
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsp Black Pepper Freshly Ground
- In a large skillet, heat Oil over medium-high heat. Add Onion, Garlic, Cumin, Salt and Pepper. Stir frequently as you cook for about 5 minutes (until Onions soften). Add the Pinto Beans and Water. Stir until mixed throughout and Beans are warm (about 3 minutes).
- Add chopped Romaine Lettuce to your plate. Top with the Onion & Bean mixture. Add Queso Fresca, Avocado, Salsa & Sour Cream to taste. Serve with a side of Tortilla Chips.
Adapted from “Taco Salad with Pinto Beans & Avocado” found within RealSimple.com | February 2013 by Dawn Perry