- 1 Sweet Potato
- 12 Shrimp
- 1 qt Vegetable Oil
- ½ cup Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- ½ cup Rice Flour
- 1 cup Sparkling Water
- ½ cup Chicken Stock
- 2 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Ginger Root Grated
- Wizz the chicken stock, soy sauce and ginger root together.
- Cut the sweet potato into ¼" thick medallions. Steam until tender. Pat dry and allow them to cool.
- Remove legs and outer shell and de-vein each shrimp. Make sure to leave the tail in tact.
- In a dutch oven or equivalent pot warm the vegetable oil over the stove-top until oil temperature reads 400 Deg F with a Cooking Thermometer.
- Create the batter by combining the rice flour and pastry flour along with the cold sparkling water. Place a cooling rack over a cooking sheet. The tempura will cool while the excess oil drips into the sheet below.
- Dip 3-4 pieces of sweet potato and/or shrimp at a time and immediately add them to the hot oil. Make sure to rotate each piece so they brown on all sides. When cooked through, use a slotted spoon to collect sweet potatoes and shrimp from the hot oil and place onto the cooling rack. Continue process until all sweet potato and shrimp is cooked. Serve and eat quickly.
Calories: 188kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 46mg | Sodium: 729mg | Potassium: 244mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 4611IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 47mg | Iron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Mention @FamilyPlates and #FamilyRecipes
Adapted from "Sweet Potato & Shrimp Tempura" found within Feeding the Whole Family by Cynthia Lair