This soup is the perfect remedy to the winter season chills. The chunky diced tomatoes along with freshly sliced Basil will have you warmed and full by the time you've finished your first bowl. Though this is a soup, it is still hearty enough to be a filling entré.
Tomato & Bread Soup
Served steaming hot this delicious soup is made with a chunky tomato and basil base and filled out with toasted bread cubes that soak up all the yummy goodness.Print Pin
- 3 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Onion Chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic Minced
- 2 tablespoon Thyme
- 3 28 oz can Diced Tomatoes w/ Juice
- 2 tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
- ½ tablespoon Red Chili Flakes
- ⅛ teaspoon Salt
- ⅛ teaspoon Black Pepper Freshly Ground
- 4 cups water
- 7 cups Crusty Bread Crust removed, Cubed
- ½ cup Basil Thinly sliced
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese Grated
- Heat Olive Oil a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add Onions and cook until translucent, then add Garlic & Thyme; cook for another minute.
- Stir in Tomatoes and Balsamic Vinegar; increase to heat to boil and then reduce to simmer stirring frequently. Remove from heat, fold in Bread Cubes, cover and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Remove cover; Add Cheese and Basil and then mix thoroughly.
If you don't have stale bread, you can cube your bread and then toast on a baking sheet in the oven at 350 DegF for 15 minutes.
Calories: 330kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 6mg | Sodium: 588mg | Potassium: 177mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 479IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 160mg | Iron: 4mg
Tried this recipe?Mention @FamilyPlates and #FamilyRecipes
Adapted from "Bread and Tomato Soup" from High Flavor Low Labor by J. M. Hirsch