This soup is the perfect remedy to the winter season chills. The chunky diced tomatoes along with freshly sliced Basil will have you warmed and full by the time you’ve finished your first bowl. Though this is a soup, it is still hearty enough to be a filling entré.
Tomato & Bread Soup
- 3 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion Chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic Minced
- 2 tbsp Thyme
- 3 28 oz can Diced Tomatoes w/ Juice
- 2 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp Red Chili Flakes
- 1/8 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper Freshly Ground
- 4 cups water
- 7 cups Crusty Bread Crust removed, Cubed
- 1/2 cup Basil Thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese Grated
- Heat Olive Oil a dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add Onions and cook until translucent, then add Garlic & Thyme; cook for another minute.
- Stir in Tomatoes and Balsamic Vinegar; increase to heat to boil and then reduce to simmer stirring frequently. Remove from heat, fold in Bread Cubes, cover and let sit for 20 minutes.
- Remove cover; Add Cheese and Basil and then mix thoroughly.
Adapted from “Bread and Tomato Soup” from High Flavor Low Labor by J. M. Hirsch