Slow-cooker chicken tacos have become a signature dish for our family for several reasons:
- they are easy and delicious. Since the chicken cooks for 5-8 hours in the slow cooker we are able to prepare a bulk of the recipe the night before. We like to cook for 8 hours on low so the chicken comes out moist and flaky.
- If you have young children you are familiar with a staple bedtime story, dragons love tacos. Our girls can’t get enough of this book and taco parties. And frankly, neither can the adults.
We like to serve these tacos with our deconstructed taco salad. If we have vegetarians coming over we sauté up some bell peppers, mushrooms and onions in some olive oil and taco seasoning.
- 1 cup Iceberg Lettuce
- 1 cup Avocado
- 1 tsp Lime Juiced
- 1 cup Cilantro Chopped
- 2 lb Boneless & Skinless Chicken Breast
- 1 14.5 oz can Diced Tomatoes w/ Green Chiles
- 1 1/4 cup Chicken Broth
- 4 Taco Shells (or Tortillas)
- 1/4 cup Shredded Cheese
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- 1 1 oz pkg Taco Seasoning
- In a small-medium sized bowl, combine the Diced Tomatoes, Green Chilies, Chicken Broth, Taco Seasoning and a pinch of Salt. Stir to combine.
- Oil the inside surface of your crock-pot. Remove the chicken from its packaging, rinse and pat dry. Place into the bottom of the crock-pot. Pour the tomato mixture over the top and cook for 6-8 hours on high heat. PRO TIP: You are trying to increase contact between tomato mixture and the chicken. Try to prevent the chicken breasts from overlapping as it will prevent the marinade from doing its job.
- When the chicken is cooked throughout, shred the chicken using two forks without removing. Place the lid back on and set to the side until ready for serving. Feel free to remove some of the juice if its too wet.
- Chop Cilantro and lettuce. Peel, remove pit and slice/dice Avocado. Set out Shredded Cheese, Sour Cream and your favorite Hot Sauces on the table or buffet for a build-your-own taco or burrito night.
Adapted from “Chicken” found within Slower Cooker Shredded Chicken Tacos and Burritos by Mandy | South Your Mouth