This is a delicious three layer lasagna. Starting with a white alfreado sauce base, we use thinly sliced butternut squash, oven-ready & gluten free lasagna sheets interspersed with very thinly sliced kale ribbons. This is a nice, warm and hearty dish that is sure to fill up your whole family. Recipe makes 6 slices which leaves some leftovers or seconds if you just don’t have room in your refrigerator.
If you aren’t in the mood for this lasagna, check out some of our other renditions.
Butternut Squash & Kale Lasagna
- 6 tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 6 tbsp All-purpose Flour
- 4 cups Whole Milk
- 1 1/2 lbs Butternut Squash Skinned, Cored & Thinly Sliced – Mandoline
- 4 cups Lacinato Kale Stemmed & Very Thinly Sliced
- 6 Oven-ready Lasagna Sheets (Gluten Free)
- 1 1/2 cups Gruyère Grated
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper Freshly Ground
- Preheat oven to 350 DegF
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Melt 6 tbsp (3/4 stick) butter and then add flour; whisk constantly for 30 seconds or until foaming. Whisk in the Milk, Salt and Pepper; bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 8 minutes – stir occasionally – until thickened.
- Spread/lay ingredients into the 8 Inch Baking Sheet in the following order-Milk/Flour Mixture-Oven-Ready Lasagna Sheets-Very Thinly Sliced-Thinly Sliced Squash-Milk/Flour Mixture-Oven-Ready Lasagna Sheets-Very Thinly Sliced-Thinly Sliced Squash-Milk/Flour Mixture-Oven-Ready Lasagna SheetsTop with the Gruyère, cover with foil and put into the oven; bake for 60 minutes or until the noodles are tender.
- Uncover and broil until the top is golden brown; a few minutes longer. Allow the lasagna to rest for about 10 minutes before serving.
Adapted from “Butternut Squash and Kale Lasagna” found in RealSimple.com | October 2013 by Charlyne Mattox